Steps for editing your ATS resume template
ATS templates are made with basic text for machine readability. This makes them the simplest templates to edit.
You may also view these instructions at Resume Maximizer. The online instructions include animated gifs showing the main steps.
Edit Text Content
- With your cursor, select the text to be edited.
- Once highlighted, begin typing. This will replace the existing text with your content. Or, you can copy/paste any existing text in this space.
Edit Text Color
- Perform the same text selection process as above.
- Once highlighted, you will see a ‘pop-up’ appear next to the text.
- In the box, select the Color option to open the drop-down.
- Select the desired color in this drop-down.
- You can also use the color option in the above the document. Select ‘Home’ and then the letter ‘A’ with a colored bar below it.
Edit Text Font
- Follow the same initial step as described in ‘Edit Text Color’.
- Then, select the Font (or font size) drop-down instead of the color option.
Text Duplication (copy/paste text)
- Select and highlight the complete body of text to be duplicated.
- On your keyboard, select and hold the Ctrl key + the ‘C’ key. This with Copy the text.
- Place your cursor in the location you want the copied text to be placed.
- On the keyboard, select and hold the Ctrl key + the ‘V’ key. This will paste the text into the desired location.
Note: Paste copied sections from the Skills section before the vertical bars (|||||). Do not place the cursor after the vertical bars and click ‘Enter’. Instead, place the cursor before the first word of the copied section and paste above. Please see the video if this is unclear.
Edit the Skills Section
- Because ATS resumes need to be machine-readable they use basic text and formatting.
- All parts of the Skills section, including the vertical bars and other characters, are edited in the same way as any other text.